I cut my hair + friend's wedding + being comfortable with me







Hello, my loves. Thank you again for meeting me here as I undress layer by layer to show you my core. I invite you to join me. Seriously. Many already do but you're always welcomed to write me a personal message or reach out in anyway shape or form if you feel you need someone to open up to. I'm a great listener and a walking diary.

I cut my hair over the weekend. It wasn't the intention but 'twas the outcome. I love it. Truly. Most of my life, I defined a characteristic of beauty as having long hair. I always craved it when I was younger and just felt it would make me pretty. I grew long thick dreads and felt I reached a noble accomplishment. ha

Again, cutting it wasn't intentional. I was going to get my fro pressed to do a length check and get a trim. Sure, it was lengthy. Halfway down my back. But apparently, my hair still had some damage from combing my locs out last year and many strands had split to the root. I decided, whatever. Let's do it. Let's cut it. Time for something new.

Last summer, I woke up with a spontaneous mission to began combing one of my locs out. To my surprise, it was relatively easy and I retained quite a lot of hair. So seven days later, I had no locs and a head full of curly hair.



People ask me constantly why I did it and many can't understand why I did. All I can truly say is, I felt it. It's a part of this transformation and coming to be that I'm in the process of. My locs represented a certain stage in my life that I am actively moving out of. They carried a lot of pain and loss and strength and identity.

I believe our hair reflects a lot about us. It's a statement and like ourselves, it changes. Like my heart, my hair was wishing to be unlocked.

This past weekend, my lovely friends Bruna and Jamisin got married. It was intimate, meaningful and a great way to spend my afternoon. 

I love them both so much like brother and sister. Bruna looked elegant and royal in her cream dress and beautiful headdress as well as Jamisin in his full African Royal purple outfit. I soaked up every bit of the love in the air and appreciated that I had the opportunity and ability to witness and be a part of such a thing. The weather was great, the scenery was welcoming. Thank you for having me and I wish you guys a happy, relentless, strong marriage. 

I'll expose a bit about myself to conclude. I definitely realized in that moment how I longed for that. I've realized a lot about myself over time and one thing that I'm not afraid to admit, and accept about myself is that I desire monogamous, long lasting, and growing relationships. I don't wish to date around and jump from relationship to relationship. I love long and hard and I might be what the youngins like to call "Ride or die". lol

But really, I'm excited to be developing into such a phenomenal woman and allowing pain to be transformed into beautiful triumph. I'm so grateful. I know the right person, moment etc will be revealed particularly as I truly reveal myself. In the meantime, I'm having a great time developing a relationship with the creator. Solitude is sweet, liberating and concentrated with revelations.

I feel like I'm married to my purpose and as I step firmly into that, every relationship I have will reflect that.  

Yeah, I've still been having ups and downs but peace is overflowing and I feel a strength within that's reliable and unconditional. 

P.S I'll have some photography of my new do soon 

Later,
Maya 

Comments

Popular Posts